Monday, June 06, 2005

Four Boring Secrets About Me

There's a chain blog-mail doing the rounds where they ask you to list 4 things about you. The king of bloggers has passed an order asking me to state mine. So i had to comply.

Total number of books I own
I am the blacksheep in a family of readers. Fat books psyche the shit outta me. Thin books spook me out. I can read like a page at a time. Basically the bottomline is I stay away from books. Thanks to my bibliophobia, I have a spartan collection of 15 odd books - all related to the kinda things I dabble in.

Last book I bought
I'll have to really think hard...Oh yes, last month, I bought the collected works of Mirza Ghalib for a romantic friend of mine as a gift. For myself, I bought Roald Dahl's short stories. Being a lame book magnet, I must have read just 3 short stories from that tome.

Last book I read
I hate fiction. I am cool with non-fiction. As I told you earlier, I am a modular reader. The last module I read was the Chapter 1 in a book called 'The Secret of the Veda' by Aurobindo. I felt like a dwarf after leafing through it. The man had such a command over the language and to top it, a deep intellect. Sigh. Before that it was a witty movie review of Godzilla from a book titled 'Nobody's Perfect' by Anthony Lane. Cover to cover, I might have read just about 20 books. The last book that had that honour (ha ha!) was an intriguingly unputdownable work called 'Sophie's World'. I found it interesting because it used an unusual structure to explain philosophy. If you ask me the author's name, I won't remember it.

Five books that mean a lot to me
I will find it very difficult to touch five because no book really means a lot to me. But if you insist here goes...

1. My tattered Chamber's Everyday Dictionary.

2. Roget's Thesaurus.

3. Any book by Mother or Aurobindo

4. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

5. Anantha's endlessly postponed 'Unwritten short stories'.

I am expected to extend this chain by nominating a few other bloggers to go through this painful exercise. The lazy me shall take over now and play spoil sport.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ravages/CC said...

Nice list Unantha, and not boring at all.

12:04 am  
Blogger Sajan said...

If what u've said is true, it's quite comforting...I get this complex when I see ppl around me on a reading spree. Big books are indeed intimidating...But I should admit that there's an inherent urge to read or at least smell the pages of the book...i guess i am apparantly a lazy bum - it takes helluva lottof time to read...I prefer watching a news/infotainment channel than reading the news paper...prefer watching a movie than reading fiction... easy to consume and easy to digest... watching movies is more a passion to me than reading books...i can't read all the good books and see all the good movies during my lifetime...I shud decide whether i wanna see more movies or read more books...movies seem to win my vote....and with 24 hours in a day i can afford to have only one passion...but still i dont want to leave out the books. last week I bought Harry Potter and the globet of fire and a 12 year old boy(may be even 10yrs old) gave me one of this looks as though i belonged to the previous century still havent read the book...sorry Anantha for such a long comment...I guess one boring secret of mine is enough to keep u bored.

4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home